Sunday, July 3, 2011

Without You - Chapter 13: Exchange


Leiland?
He says again

My body ignites
Suddenly
I’m more alive
Than I’ve been
In a very long time
Knots in my stomach
Heart in my throat
I clutch the microphone
And press my cracked lips
Against the metal grill
Yes

Where are you?
He asks

Not sure
I reply
But it comes out wrong
I strain
Try to mouth the words
Then speak them
Not sure
I say again
But I know
There’s no way
He can understand

Stay where you are
I’m sending someone to you now
Just speak to me
Everything’s going to be all right
He promises

His voice is sterile
Not at all what I remember
The banging on the walls
Does not help
Who are you?
My voice sharpens

A friend of Trevor’s
I feel his smile
Through the open line

Can I speak to him?
Once again
I trip over my words
Speak?
I say over and over
Until I get it right

You want to speak with him?
Sorry
He’s offsite
He’ll be excited
To hear from you
Told me a lot
About you
All this time
He never gave up hope
Are there others like you?

Just me
I say
No idea
If he can understand
Me
One
Just
One
Me
I struggle
To shape sound
Into words

I see
Hold on

The banging stops
And a long silence ensues
This respite
A small eternity
Then in the distance
The whir of engines
Fills my ears

Unbelievable
They’re here already
Monsters
I try to warn him
Monsters
Inside

We’re over you now
His voice is cold
Indifferent
Are there any weapons inside?
Explosives
Hazardous waste
Radioactive materials
Flammable gas or liquids

Guns
I say
Just guns

Acknowledged
Stand by for our response

Response?
Before I can say
Another word
The near wall explodes
Pinning me underneath it

Leiland?
His voice echoes
Wisely
I do not reply
As hellfire
Rips through the bunker
Reducing it to rubble

No comments:

Post a Comment